No one really wants a demon. Well, almost no one, There are Satanists and black magicians who deliberately conjure demons for nefarious purposes such as money, sex, power, or control. But most people aren’t so sinister. It’s against the wishes and inclinations of basic human nature to want a demon. Several courses of Bob Larson University (BLU), especially our new College of Apologetics and Demonology, explain the ways that various world religions seek to expel evil spirits.
Conversely, some cults invite entities to enter, such as Haitian Voodoo, Brazilian Macumba, Hispanic Santeria, and westernized Satanic sects. These groups deliberately indulge in possession ceremonies. But these religious systems don’t believe that the forces they call forth are implacably evil; however, if you believe in God and the devil, angels, and demons, I have a warning for you. I’ll cite three ways that you may get demons.
These are doors to evil spirits that most people don’t understand are demonic. First, understand that the devil doesn’t play fair. It is possible that you can give uninformed consent for demons to enter. That’s because you’re unaware that your actions are an invitation to evil. The Bible in Second Corinthians 2:11 warn that we should not be ignorant of the devil’s devices. Remember the adage, “Ignorance is no excuse for disobeying the law.” If you’re driving 50 in a 30 mph zone and a police officer pulls you over, it won’t do any good to argue that you didn’t see the speed sign. If you’re going to drive, you are responsible to know the speed of your automobile and the speed limit. In spiritual matters you are accountable for knowing what the Word of God says and abiding by it. You can’t go through life living in sin and disobedience and claim unawareness or spiritual, cognatic dissonance.
Here are three basic ways people open doors to demos:
1) Traumatic abuse from family, friends, caretakers, lovers, spouses, or spiritual leaders.
2) Failing to recognize the power of family and generational curses and knowing the need to cancel these inherited or genetically acquired evils.
3) Delving into the occult through New Age, spiritualism, cults, or non-Christian religions.
Let’s explore these three reason a little more.
1) TRAUMA—Physical, sexual, and spiritual abuse are the main ways that trauma opens doors to demons. There isn’t time here to explore all these possibilities, but this is the key issue. The individual who has suffered such abuse needs counseling, therapy, inner healing, or prayer ministry. Trauma which isn’t processed, but remains buried inside the soul, is emotionally toxic. It can poison the mind with anger, bitterness, self-condemnation, false shame, and other negatively damaging falsehoods. This condition provides a doorway to demons.
2) CURSES: As we have repeatedly pointed out previously, unbroken curses can provide demons a legal right of entry. Once again, there isn’t space to explain how this works, so please consult our publications, Members Only Channel on YouTube, or enroll in Bob Larson University. This is especially important if you’ve never confronted the past evil of generations, both known and unknown. Breaking curses closes the doors of the soul to demons.
3) OCCULT—Our various publications, videos, and BLU list hundreds of demonic practices that are commonly accepted in our society, such as astrology, divination, energy work, psychics, yoga and meditation, fortune telling, and witchcraft. These evils must be renounced. In some cases, the demons attached to these occult indulgences must be confronted and expelled. If you need deliverance and/or an exorcism, please meet with me personally or virtually. Or we can refer you to one of our Associate Ministers or a local prayer team.
Take to heart what I’ve shared, and you’ll avoid common ways that people get demons and keep demons. If you’re reading this after the fact, and you are tormented, it’s never too late to resist the devil and make him run away (James 4:7). You’ll avoid getting a demon if you start by closing the doors of abuse, curses, and the occult.