Occasionally I come across strange information that piques my interest. This blog is about that. A writer named Stacy Conradt took the time (I have to wonder who has time for this sort of thing) to research information about people who died by swallowing. Apparently, it’s not all that uncommon. Take writer Tennessee Williams. He choked on the cap to a tube of nose spray, though there was speculation that he also had barbiturates in his system. A member the 80s rock bank Tyrannosaurus Rex took so many drugs that when he drank a cocktail, the cherry lodged in his throat which had been numbed from the dope. He choked to death at age 31. An 18th Century king of Sweden, Adolf Frederick, had 14 servings of hot milk and died of digestion problems. Novelist Sherwood Anderson swallowed the toothpick from an olive in a martini glass and died from internal organs which were punctured. A Navy Lieutenant by the name of Prior had a habit of sticking the tee in his mouth while playing golf. He succumbed to the fungicide used to keep the golf course grass looking beautiful.
This list is longer but you get the idea. Jesus said in Mark 7:20-23, “What comes out of a man that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.” These things are inside a man because he has spiritually and emotionally swallowed them. These things come out because they have been ingested by the heart. What you swallow by the throat may kill you, as evidenced above. But what you take into your soul will destroy you eternally. The fact that it proceeds outward indicates that it has previously been spiritually digested inwardly. Beware what you allow your soul to swallow.